Position: Education Adviser
Application deadline: COB, Jan 31, 2021
Location: Based in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, starts February 2021
Contract type: Full-time
Duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
EducationUSA Mongolia, implemented by the Mongolian Association of State Alumni (MASA) since 2020, is a part of EducationUSA global network in more than 170 countries funded by the State Department of the U.S. The center works in collaboration with the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia.
The EducationUSA Adviser is responsible for promoting U.S. higher education information for Mongolian youth and professionals by offering accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased information about educational opportunities in the United States. The advising includes the complex information of the U.S. education system, application procedure, financial opportunities to study in the United States, and how to navigate the “Your 5 Steps to the U.S. Study” for studying in the United States. The adviser also organizes special events including university information fairs, makes presentations on U.S. higher education and reports its services to the MASA, the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia and Global Office of EducationUSA on a weekly basis. EXTENSIVE TRAVEL IS REQUIRED.
Primary Responsibilities include:
ADVISING AND CENTER MANAGEMENT (50%)
- Management and operation of the EducationUSA Mongolia center, including finance, logistics and procurement under the direct supervision of the Program Director
- Organizes and conducts outreach programs to promote EducationUSA Mongolia and MASA
- Advises Mongolian Students on admissions, financial aid, college university selection, testing, essay writing and pre-departure orientation through individual advising, as well as phone, skype and email.
- Virtual individual and group advising for teachers, parents and prospective students to study in the U.S.
OPERATION SUPPORT TO MASA (15%)
- Report to the Office of Global EducationUSA, the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia and MASA Board of Directors.
- Support day to day activities and operations of the MASA
- Organize public engagement, workshops, seminars, campaigns and events and program review meetings including logistics preparation.
- MASA membership and volunteer management.
- Develop reports, proposals, factsheets, promotional videos, podcasts, infographic etc. and disseminate to the program's target group through relevant media and social media channels. Assist Program Director in identifying appropriate communication and community engagement activities.
- Translate, draft and edit EducationUSA Mongolia’s weekly social media digests, press releases, success stories of students and MASA alumni members.
- Maintain EducationUSA Mongolia and MASA’s website and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) such as daily monitoring, posting and content development.
- Communicates with partners, regional and global officers, HEI representatives, officers of the U.S. Embassy in Mongolia and interns.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in the fields of international development, Education, Communications, Public relations or related field is required. U.S GRADUATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two years of professional experience in the fields of education, international exchanges, student advising, information science, or related fields is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of English and Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing of Mongolian is required.
- SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Proficient in MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, Social Media management tools etc. Designing, marketing, problem-solving, strong organizational, and time management skills are required.
- JOB KNOWLEDGE: Comprehensive knowledge of U.S. and Mongolian higher education and other opportunities to study in the U.S. is required.
This position offers a creative work environment where you will engage and work with youth and volunteers. Also, you will work with diverse students and professionals from across Mongolia, U.S. Embassy staff and higher education professionals from the United States, and Mongolia. Starting monthly salary is MNT2’000’000 before tax.
By January 31, 2021, 23:55 hours, interested candidates should send a short cover letter, a CV in English, answers to two supplemental questions (see below) and three reference letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org noting EducationUSA Advisor Candidate in the subject line.
Please respond to below supplemental questions:
1) In your opinion what is the importance of volunteerism?
2) Based on your experience, what are 2-3 factors that are important in developing a successful program involving youth?
ONLY SHORT-LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.